Placing buildings

About RBR track editor

Placing buildings

Postby delu77 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:31 am

Hi again,
I'm on the way to place some buildings over my track:

The groundmesh is well imported and tested alone, fully working (except that sometimes the car fells down when going too far from the track even if on the terrain :roll: )
I have generated in max some buildings , merged them (they are about 12 buildings) and exported as .x (I want to use the same collision mesh)
They have a different texture, dds dxt1
Imported in wally as general mesh, the textures are loaded correctly but I see 2 buildings that are black (even if in max they are correctly rendered)
Export all to RBR, and modified texture ini (for the second texture file switched the "isgroundtexture" to false, and modified the textures format as dxt1).
Placed the track texture iniside the damp (dry & wet too)/new, worn, normal and the building's texture inside the damp/dry/wet folder.
When I launch the track, ath the end of loading RBR exits.

I have a building that is not at all placed on the groundmesh...should be this the problem?
I have also tested with a single building, placed on the groundmesh, but it is the same....

Any suggestion please?
Thanks,
Andrea
delu77

Re: Placing buildings

Postby HONZALEK Vratislav » Mon May 11, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi, the simplest way how to add houses collision is add houses (or their parts) to col file (hard collisions). Walls will be part of col file (import to editor as ground), roof can be general. You dont have do special collisions for houses. Thats advantage. Following text is from wallaby manual(from tips):

"- I recommand to have these X files on track updating containing:
a) All objects which will have hard collision (on col file generating), e.g. ground + walls + house walls…
b) File containing splitted ground (use for import to editor, splitted by RBR Split).
c) Other objects (except splitted ground) used for col file generating e.g. walls, house walls according to single villages when exporting to X file (to avoid texture switching).
Note: b) + c) = a)
d) Objects which will be used as „general“ objects in editor e.g. house roofs and other objects. Again according to single villages. "

Black texture is in my opinio not updated textures in rbz file. Becouse max get textures from another path than rbr (it takes according ini file). So for all Houses textures switch "isgroundtexture" to false, otherwise your textures will be depend on surface wear and tear.
Placed on ground mesh or not, it doesnt matter. It is just like object in space.
Sometimes Steering wheel, sometimes keyboard ,but still almost equal quick ;) Subaru WRT, The Mask
HONZALEK Vratislav

Postby Admal » Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am

Hello,

I think it is a problem at *.ini. maybe you import as groundmesh and switch opacity on ? Thats not work too. Other i think same as Vratislav.

Why i should handle roof other than the rest of houses. Make it some trouble?

Lamda
Admal

Postby HONZALEK Vratislav » Tue May 12, 2009 4:13 pm

If you import something as "ground" mesh, opacity is automatically not used (just disabled).

I do splitting becouse of opacity. If you imported whole houses as ground mesh you would have some part visible only from one side (e.g. roof, its property of ground mesh). If your house dont need opacity, just import whole as ground mesh (and dont forget add to col file).
And if you imported whole houses as general mesh you would have whole house pickable (so there is a risk of random move) and you neednt have sure exact possition as in col file ( so i do it for the same position of walls in max and editor = the same position of col file, if i make random move of roof, i delete it and import againt to right place).
Sometimes Steering wheel, sometimes keyboard ,but still almost equal quick ;) Subaru WRT, The Mask
HONZALEK Vratislav

Postby cricrikris » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

For my part i've imported buildings as ground meshes, then in max i create a simple box for collision exported in the same .X as the rest of ground that i used to export .Col (don't know if i'm clear?).
My question is : do shadows creation could be done from ground meshes or do shadows could be only generated from general meshes (as trees)?
This question is because i hope that shadows could be generated for my buildings (i know that is wally who is in charge of this operation for every new track).
cricrikris

Postby HONZALEK Vratislav » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 am

So far shadows cast only general mesh. Wally plans do a next generation of shadow generating which will generate shadows both ground and general meshes. Your method box as replacement Iam using sometimes for col file to have hard collision somewhere. But in this case I tihnk is simple to use buildings walls (or whole) for col file than create one more object (your replacement box). So to your question. If you import your buidilngs as general mest than sure they will cast shadows.
HONZALEK Vratislav

Return to Wallaby