S H A D O W . G E N E R A T I N G . P E T I T I O N

About RBR track editor

Re: S H A D O W . G E N E R A T I N G . P E T I T I O N

Postby cricrikris » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Wally wrote:Ad shadows from Rally Trophy). RBR uses multilayer textures and I did not found any tool/exporter, which is able export more layers to .x file. It is exporting always only first layer. In RBR are used up to 4 layers. Two normal textures mixed, one for shadows and one for specular.

Hi all,

maybe it is a stupid question, but can't we imagine :
- to built our own .x exporter / tool
or
- to export multi layers objet into another data format with an exporter / tool supporting multi layer and then convert it into .x using a converting tool ?

By the way, we have 4 tracks here in France lacking only .ini setting files and shadows.

Regards,

Chris
cricrikris

Postby delu77 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:48 am

Wally wrote:I saw Kangaroo on pictures (1 or 2) and also hear, how it roughly worked. Most things are just only guessed. I dont think we will see by own eyeball in our life. That was also reason I started developing my tool. By the way name Wallaby is not from my nick, but Wallaby is small Kangaroo in Australian ;)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=cs&g ... &q=wallaby

Ad shadows from Rally Trophy). RBR uses multilayer textures and I did not found any tool/exporter, which is able export more layers to .x file. It is exporting always only first layer. In RBR are used up to 4 layers. Two normal textures mixed, one for shadows and one for specular.

Thanks again for your reply (and what a great job on Bohemia track! :o ). Haven't seen yet any track with specular maps, are you working on it too?

Regards,
A.
delu77

Postby Admal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 pm

maybe it is a stupid question, but can't we imagine :
- to built our own .x exporter / tool
or
- to export multi layers objet into another data format with an exporter / tool supporting multi layer and then convert it into .x using a converting tool ?

Not stupid, but who can do? if we have, we get some more possibilitys (exept shadows). The big point for that is "blending feature". you can save much textures and much work to adjust textures each other. Better look with less work and less textures.

Lamda
Admal

Postby Bostjan Berglez » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Thinking out loud.. Is it possible in max to cast shadows on ground and then somehow merge with ground mesh? Something like in photoshop where you have multiple layers and then you select Merge or Flatten layers. Can this be done in max? This way we could do all shadows and all blending.
Bostjan Berglez

Postby cricrikris » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Bostjan Berglez wrote:Thinking out loud.. Is it possible in max to cast shadows on ground and then somehow merge with ground mesh? Something like in photoshop where you have multiple layers and then you select Merge or Flatten layers. Can this be done in max? This way we could do all shadows and all blending.

Does someone has tested something with vertex colors ? Vertex colors can be exported using panda exporter and in game via wallaby. Maybe it is possible to merge a texture or other thing into its ?
cricrikris

Postby Admal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 am

@bostian

Your idea have on problem. You map your groundmesh with some texture pattern, that was repeat often. shadows was different on all parts of the map. to merge you must have a very big textur like screenshot of topview (but more detailed as normal screenshot). than you was able to merge it with casting shadows. but the new texture file will to big for it. take a look to Portugal 0.95, they was made similar this idea.

my realitic new ideas are only handle all layer textures as different import in to wallaby or find a way to export multilayer textures from 3dsmax. until then i hope if we was finish, its take short time to make shadows. But i worry that it wasn´t easy...

Lamda
Admal

Postby cricrikris » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am

"un sharp" shadows can be painted into vertex color, exported directly with pandasoft exporter from 3ds max and then imported into wallaby ;) , but unfortunately this can't be used for sharp shadows as trees shadows :cry: .

@wally : can you explain us what type of 3ds max materials should we use for multilayers textures(standard material ?, multi / sub objects ? , ....), maybe we could find an export format supporting multi layer and then found a way to convert those data into .x format which wallaby could understand (maybe via another soft as blender or other thing) ?
As soon as we could import those meshes with multi layer textures, wallaby is already able to create "shadows.dat" from object browser (i have tested it with track-41), am I right ?
cricrikris

Postby eno72 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:46 pm

@ cricrikris:
Wow! these shadows made through vertex colours are already impressive! :shock:
Did you manage to export them to RBR? if so, would you be so nice as to explain how you get them in max? (I suppose one can start from the groundmesh already mapped with the textureplate)
eno72

Postby cricrikris » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes it works in game, but i don't think it is a good way to make shadows because you can't do sharp tree shadows as original tracks for example.

I have no time today to explain, sorry. But tomorrow afternoon or sunday morning i can if you are interested.

I'm interested in what materials we should use in 3ds max to have correct "4 textures layers (Two normal textures mixed, one for shadows and one for specular)".
@Wally : could you provide us an example of .x data we should have to import correctly multi layers into wallaby.
Is it possible to have a look into groundmeshes data of original tracks ? (text format, not binary ?)
cricrikris

Postby eno72 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 pm

@cricrikris:
I'm very interested, I think it's a quick way to get at least some decent shadows that can do the job in the case of cloudy/hazy weathers, where sharp shadows should not be used. It is also a way to cast some shadow on the terrain, where it does not receive shadows from objects but anyway it should have its own shadow.
Maybe this could be even used for the own shadows of houses, isn't it?
Thanks for that!
eno72

PreviousNext

Return to Wallaby