Multiple physics

About RBR track editor

Multiple physics

Postby etisoppo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 am

Hello all,

As you would all know, I am working on the Ouninpohja stage. I have some questions... how can I generate grass physics where there is grass texture and gravel physics where there is gravel texture? I'm told ID 0 must be grass, then you "paint" the others. So:
1. Do I paint them with zoomed to the "part" texture (the part of the texture which you want different physics) from TTPO.dds?
2. Do I use a separate ID for each different physics section?
3. Only generate weathers right at the end?
4. What's the deal with having to import a "ready-made" .mat file? Can't we generate our own.. is that not the point of the material editor? (This is what confuses me :oops: )

If all can go well, we can look forward to a release of Ouninpohja Länsi (14km length) some time next year, I'm thinking :mrgreen:

Thank you :D
etisoppo

Re: Multiple physics

Postby HONZALEK Vratislav » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 pm

For you, just give ID 0 (grass). Then for every square you have to have own material id (for example id 1= gravel, id 2= other grass ....) . Make mat file for dry/new conditions. Other generate by the button. Save it and then you can generate col file;)
Read manuals;) - http://rbr.onlineracing.cz/tracks/article.php?id=31 -especialy part 8
Sometimes Steering wheel, sometimes keyboard ,but still almost equal quick ;) Subaru WRT, The Mask
HONZALEK Vratislav

Postby etisoppo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 pm

I have tried this I think. First I load my track x file. Then I define drive line, start line, finish area. Steps 1-5 in manual... I open material editor, and define first ID 0 as grass. For ID 1, I zoom to gravel texture square and paint it with gravel physics one. I then generate weathers and save mat. I then go File -> Export project to RBR, and have all selected but NOT .mat or .ini ones. I export the col file there. I've tried saving .mat before and after generating col, but still all the track has grass physics :?
It seems everything I do has the same result. Is it something else like a external file? As an FYI, I'm using Wallaby 028, not the 029 like in the manual.. does that make a difference?
etisoppo

Postby eno72 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 pm

when you define ID 0 you have to zoom on a grass square on your textureplate, if you don't zoom, all the plate will have grass physics.
Another cause can be the col file: it should be a single mesh with only the textureplate as a material.
Finally, I observed that if you split the ground mesh with RBRMAT script, the split mesh cannot be used for col generation, because everything will have the behaviour of ID 0, so the mesh used for col generation must not be split.

I hope that one of these remarks will solve your problem ;)
eno72

Postby Admal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm

when you define ID 0 you have to zoom on a grass square on your textureplate, if you don't zoom, all the plate will have grass physics.

I m using single texture gras for id 0. There is no problems with other id (but i make only simple mat definition).

Another cause can be the col file: it should be a single mesh with only the textureplate as a material.

Today i use a groundmesh with some different textures (not allways track plate). Whats will happend if i do this? I make a simple mat definition without any problems.

Otherwise how are interdependency between col /mat/texture ? where are defined the material, on col file (base = col mesh) or groundmesh. You write both can different so one of both must define where *.mat working on.

If col file define and groundmesh only for look, it gives some more possibilitys for different roadlook/road physics (in combination of halftransparncy general objects).

I get only problems with to big meshes and multilayer textures (sometimes it was generate automaticly during change, but 2nd material wasn´t used. But there generate problems too!)

Lamda
Admal

Postby cricrikris » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Admal wrote:Today i use a groundmesh with some different textures (not allways track plate). Whats will happend if i do this? I make a simple mat definition without any problems.

I confirm, you can use more than one texture for your ground (that is to say many .dds files) without any problem for .col.
Admal wrote:Otherwise how are interdependency between col /mat/texture ? where are defined the material, on col file (base = col mesh) or groundmesh. You write both can different so one of both must define where *.mat working on.
If col file define and groundmesh only for look, it gives some more possibilitys for different roadlook/road physics (in combination of halftransparncy general objects)

From what i know, groundmeshes are only for look, .col file makes link between textures and .mat. That is to say you can have really different meshes for viewable meshes (groundmeshes) and for collisionable meshes (.col). It is what i have used for sewer plates physics in Lyon-Gerland track.

Regards,

Chris
cricrikris

Postby eno72 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 pm

thanks to all, this will come handy.
Just to make it clear I'd like to ask you:
- the mesh used for col generation has to be a single object? or just a single x file?
- if it has to be a single object, how many different texture files can be used on it?

thanks
eno
eno72

Postby etisoppo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 pm

eno, I thought your original comment about using RBRMAT script would have solved my problem, since I was using that and was having multiple objects (divided squares) for the col file. I tried it - exporting one big mesh for the col file - and still no difference; cricrikris' comment about more than one texture I think is right then.

I'll try another approach, using the 1st slot in the 3ds max material editor, because it's not like that right now. I know it's something small like this :roll:
etisoppo

Postby Admal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:42 pm

my col mesh is same as groundmesh but a little bit more. I not use divide script, i divide by hand myself. every object was maped with one texture file. From this follows that col mesh same (added col mesh parts are maped with track plate texture). I use 3dsmax object layer to handle objects, for export i can switch easy groups on or off and "export selected". So i export allways 2 *.x files one for optic and one for col. But both include allways many objects per *.x.

Lamda
Admal

Postby eno72 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm

thanks for the info.
There is another interesting thing related to the col file (or maybe not) that I would like to understand: in RBR there are invisible collisions to prevent going too far or into the scenery. The surface of these collisions is not hard as to damage the car. Furthermore, very often these collisions trigger the "call for help".
Does anyone know if it is sufficient to use a particular surface ID for these collisions or is it something more complicated?
eno72

Next

Return to Wallaby