Automatic shadow generation service

About RBR track editor

Automatic shadow generation service

Postby Wally » Sat May 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello,

due to increasing count of shadow generation requests and less and less of my free time, I made simply service for you, which helps you to generate shadows automatically. It still runs on my computer but it is done without man hand needed (when computer with shadow generator is on 8-) ).

To add new request is simply: prepare your track in RBR format and add textures, LBS, TRK and DLS files to one zip file. Then go to page http://rbr.onlineracing.cz/tracks/add_shadow_req.php, fill all parameters and send your track in zip file to queue. After that, you will get link, where you can check status of work (new/working/done). If you filled e-mail address in request and everything is done successfully, you will receive an e-mail notification.

If some parameters will be not clear, I will try to explain it here.
The count of requests is unlimited, so you can test your track how many times you want. But be aware, that the older requests will be deleted.

Some small overview of shadows in RBR:
Polygons near driveline have shadows through some special texture (shadow map - shadow_X.dat). This shadow map is divided into several small squares (chunks). So every polygon near driveline is mapped on this chunk (when Chunk cache is on, more polygons can be mapped on one chunk, but its currently broken). Polygons after "Distance (meters) from driveline, where vertex shadows starts showing" are shadowed only with vertices colors. There is place, where textured shadows are disappearing and vertex shadows are starting to show. This place can be adjusted with three parameters "Distance (meters) from driveline ...". If you dont want any textured shadows but only vertex shadows (especially for _O files), set these three parameters to 0.0.

Tip 1: if you want to get shadows quickly back, disable vertex bluring with setting Bluring radius to 0.0 (there are 2 parameters). Without bluring it takes cca 15 minutes, with bluring it is over 2 hours.
Tip 2: if you get after uploading empty page or again page with parameters, something went wrong during upload. You must get page with link
Tip 3: for shadowing only textures with alpha blending are necessary. All others do not have to be included in zip file
Tip 4: when vertex shadows are visible in Wallaby, but not in RBR, try to adjust parameter Terrain_Reflectance in tracksettings.ini

Happy track modelling ;)
Wally
Site Admin

Re: Automatic shadow generation service

Postby eno72 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Tomorrow is my birthday and this is maybe the best gift I could wish. Thanks a lot for this service and for your dedication to RBR ;)

first questions:
- textures must be included in a track-XX_X-textures directory and not in a rbz file?
- sunny tracks have sharp (textured) shadows (M, N, E versions), while overcast (O) versions just have soft shadows (only vertex paint maybe). How should we generate the two versions?
eno72

Postby Wally » Sat May 07, 2011 9:20 pm

1) Textures can be inside .rbz or in right directory (textures-XX_X_textures) - Wallaby should find them in these 2 cases. If not, you will see it in wallaby.log in result zip file, that something went wrong (Warning: Texture XXX was not found)
2) sharp shadows (= textured shadows) have set values "Distance (meters) from driveline...". If you want disable them for _O file, then set these 3 values to 0.0
Wally
Site Admin

Postby eno72 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 pm

thanks.
Another question: if I already have done some vertex paint shadows on my meshes, can I submit the track anyway? the new shadows will just overwrite the values or shoud we submit a "clean" track?
eno72

Postby Wally » Sun May 08, 2011 8:05 am

Shadowing algorithm should detect any vertex painting and should not harm them but results must not be always good. Better is to do vertex paints after shadowing or not use it at all...
Wally
Site Admin

Postby eno72 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:13 pm

yesterday I sent a track for test and the status in the link was "new". Today the link says: "status: not found". Is it ok and should I just wait?
eno72

Postby Wally » Sun May 08, 2011 8:57 pm

its not ok, not found means, that task was deleted... maybe my fault, please send it again...
Wally
Site Admin

Postby Bostjan Berglez » Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm

This is the most innovative idea i've seen lately. Good job.
I made my request with default values just to see how this goes and the first result is good, but i need to do some trial and error to be finnaly happy with it. Maybe some explanation (short tutorial) of all the settings would be helpfull too.

Anyway.. My first question is:
- How can i transfer coordinates of my sun position i have set up in max into the settings needed by ASGS (Automatic Shadow Generation Service), these are "Sun direction X,Y,Z coordinate" ?

Bostjan
Bostjan Berglez

Postby KUREK Miro » Mon May 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Start Wallaby - open track - select camera - set to the position of the sun with the camera - parameter is the top left of the screen.

Sun pozicia .jpg
Sun pozicia .jpg (189.28 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
KUREK Miro

Postby eno72 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:03 pm

this is a shot of the first trial with default setting and it is quite impressive :shock: . In this case the vertex paint shadows should be darkened, because you can see on the right a clear transition between texture shadows and vertex paint shadows. I will now try to change the parameters in order to better match the two areas.
eno72

Next

Return to Wallaby